PSEO Student Admissions
PSEO (POST-SECONDARY ENROLLMENT OPTIONS) APPLICATION TO RRCC
Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) allows high school sophomores (limited basis-see below), juniors, and seniors to take courses, full- or part-time, at a postsecondary institution for high school and college credit. The program provides students with a greater variety of class offerings and the opportunity to pursue more challenging coursework than may be available at the high school. The tuition, fees, and required textbooks are at no cost to students.
Here's what our students say about PSEO at RRCC:
"I feel valued and respected as a student - my opinion matters to the teachers."
"PSEO at Rainy River Community College was such an amazing experience from start to finish."
"My schedule if flexible, I have more time during the day for homework and I miss less school for sports."
"I do a better job of reading for information, thinking critically and studing the right information for tests."
PSEO ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- You must be a high school sophomore, junior, or senior in good standing at a public, nonpublic, home school, or American Indian-controlled tribal school.
- Sophomores may enroll in one Career or Technical Education (CTE) course at a MnSCU college or university if they have attained a passing score or met the standard on the 8th grade Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment in reading, and meet other course prerequisites or course enrollment standards established by the college. These standards may include, but are not limited to, assessment test scores, program admission, or other requirements. Juniors and Seniors can take one Career or Technical Education (CTE) course as a PSEO student regardless of class rank or GPA, if they are a public school student and have a test score that meets or exceeds the standards on the 8th grade MCA reading test and meet the prerequisites of the course they are hoping to enroll in. Each subsequent semester students can take additional CTE or general education courses regardless of rank or GPA as long as they meet the prerequisite of the course (Accuplacer or ACT testing).
- Juniors must be ranked in the top-third of their class, or have a 3.20 end-of-year cumulative GPA, or score at or above the 70th percentile on a test, such as the ACT or SAT. Students must test into college courses numbered 1000 or above on placement tests in reading, English, and math (if you are taking your math course at RRCC).
- Seniors must be ranked in the top-half of their class, or have a 3.00 end-of-year cumulative GPA, or score at or above the 50th percentile on the ACT or SAT. Students must test into college courses numbered 1000 or above on placement tests in reading, English, and math (if you are taking your math course at RRCC).
PSEO ADMISSIONS STEPS
1. Meet with your high school counselor to determine eligibility. If you meet the class rank and/or GPA requirement, proceed to step 2.
2. Complete and sign the RRCC Application for Admission.
3. Complete and sign the Postsecondary Enrollment Options Program Notice of Student Registration (Part 1 and 2).
4. Send the above two forms and your high school transcript (including class rank and/or GPA) to:PSEO AdmissionsRainy River Community College1501 Highway 71International Falls, MN 56649
5. Schedule a date to take the required placement test by calling 218.285.7722. There is limited space, so call early for best selection. Assessment results will determine your course placement. You may retest one time. There is a fee to retest.
6. After you have taken the assessment test, schedule a PSEO Registration Session by calling 218.285.7722